Wednesday, April 19, 2017

April Reader Who Crochets--Lisa Leoni

It's the third Wednesday of the month, and that means meeting a Reader Who Crochets! DestiKNITters, meet Lisa Leoni.

Lisa, what are you crocheting right now?
I’m working on a brain beanie, but keep re-starting because I’m not getting the beanie size right. It’s a fun pattern! It’s a standard beanie, then a long crocheted strand sewn to the beanie to look like a brain. I’m making the whole thing in a light pink, requested by a friend. 

What feels like your favorite/greatest crochet accomplishment?
I recently finished a simple blanket for my baby cousin and I’m pleased I completed it. One of my bad crafting habits (beyond buying so many craft supplies) is starting lots of projects, but not finishing them. The number of times I’ve had to tear out blankets because I forgot what stitch or needle size I used…*sobs* I’m thrilled I finished this one! I’m always more motivated when it’s a gift instead of just for myself. 

What feels like the worst crochet mistake/foible/wrong choice youve ever made?
Few things in crochet have hurt worse than getting inches deep in a blanket to realize it’s not wide enough. Gah! I should spend more time making gauges and calculating things out.

Do you have a favorite stitch?
My interests vary wildly. Depending on the intensity of the project and how much I want to concentrate, my favorite stitches vary. I do tend to enjoy the basics so I can watch TV or listen to an audiobook without having to carefully count.

Metal or wood needles?
I had exclusively metal needles and hooks for a while because they were handed down to me, or I bought kits from big box craft stores. A couple of years ago I took a scarf project with me on a vacation to the United Kingdom and lost my crochet hook. I went to a nearby store and found a beautiful wooden needle with a rainbow of colors. It’s now my favorite! Aside from my late grandmother’s set – those are special. I used a plastic one recently, but it has a bend to it and is hard to work with.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
*wipes milk chocolate from mouth* Milk chocolate, all the way!

Coffee or tea?
Black coffee. I don’t want anything between me and my ambrosia. 

Whats your favorite Allie novel?
I think I’ve connected with The Perfect Blend the best. Such a fun read! I’m enjoying that whole series.
What are you reading now?
I’m between books right now, but next up in my TBR pile is “I Dare You!” by Farrah Rochon. She recently spoke at a local event and was so wonderful. I can’t wait to read one of her books!

Do you have a favorite crochet/knitting character from a book, movie, or television show? 
I enjoy the knitting element and characters in Penny Reid’s “Knitting in the City” series. 

Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store.
When I want the good stuff for a special project, I go to:
Rosemary Ridge Farm Yarn & Fiber Arts 
226 S Main Street
Independence, OR



As a thank you for being featured, Lisa receives a three-skein collection from Knitche and a copy of A Ranger for the Holidays for herself and an ebook of My So-Called Love Life for her friend. You can, too! If you'd like more information on how to be featured on Readers Who Knit/Crochet, email me at allie@alliepleiter.com for details.

No comments: